This Week in Silverlight: Redmond Exodus?
What’s new in Silverlight This Week in Silverlight
Recorded May 28, 2010
- Cool guy exodus from Microsoft.
- Apple surpasses Microsoft in term of market cap.
- Expression 4 Launch coming up.
- Tim Greenfield of Vertigo gave a great talk on Rx in Portland.
- Silverlight Unit Test Framework updated for WinPhone7.
- Accelerometer Visualization on the Zune HD.
- Developing a Free Cell game in Silverlight.
- A kind of faked up Silverlight on the iPad. They stream video of the plugin to the device.
30 Million Win Phone 7 Devices Forcasted by 2012
*Late-breaking correction*: the 30 million number cited here and in the show is not just WP7 devices.
Brian talks about the forecast and what it means.
Erik thinks that 30 million sounds reasonable. This is partly because smartphones will be more popular overall.
Kelly thinks Android will have a pretty good lead at that point.
The Rumor about Steve Ballmer at WWDC (Apple Conference) is False
Was the analyst was pretty much making stuff up…?
Erik points out that Microsoft’s denial was a little weird.
There was speculation that Ballmer would announce Silverlight on the iPhone. The crew thinks this is pretty unlikely.
Application Of The Week
Kelly has heard from (supposedly) reliable sources that Silverlight/Sharepoint consultants can bill out at $200-$300/hour. The crew ponders the possibilities.
Brian Hendersonis a Silverlight Designer/Architect and INETA Community Champion. A few of the activities Brian can be found participating are flying (pilot), kayaking, hiking, or just taking video/photos.
Kelly White is an independent Silverlight Consultant. He previously lead the PDXUX.Net user group, and now runs the Portland Silverlight User Group with Erik Mork. Kelly has presented at user groups and code camps throughout the northwest on both Silverlight and WPF.
Music kindly provided by YACHT.